the Sawatzky Nomad

We hope to keep all of our cross-provincial friends, and those abroad, updated with this blog. And maybe even hear from some who are long lost friends.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Dressering Up

Well I know for most of the reader's of this blog, this post will be a who cares type post. After all, it doesn't include Nadia. However, in case you do care I will carry on. When I was just a young lad my Dad bought a dresser for $10 at a garage sale. It was well constructed of mostly solid rosewood and had a dark stained finish. However it had ugly handles and was a bit beat up so my Dad stripped it and painted it blue for his young boy. Then about 10 years later the boy grew up and he and his mother painted it once again but this time a yucky brown sort of colour. Well since I have been working at a cabinet shop for the last 9 month's or so I thought it would be cool to simply strip the paint off the dresser and fill the holes and spray it with black lacquer (actually my friend and co-worker Gord sprayed it). Well here is the final result complete with full extension sliders and 8" bar handles. Not to say it was easy, oh no, as if stripping at least 4 coats of paint off wasn't bad enough I had to figure out how to put sliders in a dresser that was not meant to have sliders. Oh and the little mishap in the shop when a wall fell on it and put a board right through the top was a little discouraging (again, Gord to the rescue). All in all I'm happy with it and I just hope it won't get scratched in our next move.

Tim

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Tim! It looks great!
mom

Tuesday, 06 February, 2007  
Blogger Lisa Sawatzky said...

Hey that actually turned out pretty nice. I really like the handles. Are you sure you didn't want to use fork and spoon handles?

Wednesday, 07 February, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right it is kind of a boring blog entry with no Nadia or alien. But the dresser is fabulous.

Thursday, 08 February, 2007  
Blogger Lisa Sawatzky said...

I look on your blog every day and it's the same thing every day. That same old dresser. It's a really nice dresser and I like it, but all the same...

Monday, 12 February, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home