the Sawatzky Nomad

We hope to keep all of our cross-provincial friends, and those abroad, updated with this blog. And maybe even hear from some who are long lost friends.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

all at once

This last year has been an intense time of learning for us. August 1st marked the end of my first official year of ministry. And as we reflected on the year it became clear to us that I am a round peg in a square hole. Lake Park is a good church, and I am called to be a pastor, but we just didn't seem to fit each other. I found over the last year that I am more passionate than I thought about music. I also love to preach, and teach, and lead. Yup, you guessed it, none of those were in my job description. So after a long and prayerful struggle I had to resign. I was officially done at the beginning of September so many of you know this already.

Now you may be one of those people who would not resign their position until you had a backup plan, or knew that work was ligned up for you. Not me! No sir, when I resigned there was no insulation in the walls of our living room and I had about two months left of solid renovations to sell the house. OK, I've never been accused of being smrt. To our suprise and through the grace of God, our church was very understanding and supportive. They even offered to pay me for an extra two months while we finished renovating. They really are great people.

I was not sure what the next step would be (past renovating that is) but God had seemed to be leading us in the church planting direction before we came here and I was again feeling led to pursue this area. In fact an opportunity arose in Warman for a church plant and it looked really exciting. However, there are certain personality traits and skills that a church planter needs, did I have those? Enter the Church Planting Assessment Center. Yup, off we went (on my sisters B-day) to Burnaby, BC to take an intensive three days of evaluation and testing to see if we had church planting skills. This is also why we haven't blogged about this yet.

Oh, the kids had to stay with Grandma in Martensville. Thanks Grandma, they had a blast. Lisa was there for a few days but she got the flu just when she arrived and then Grandma got sick too. Somehow they managed to care for the kids though. Another couple of weeks and we will have the kids back to normal. Thanks Grandma and Lisa. OK, back to us at the assessment.

And the results are? Not recomended. That's right, we are not church planters. But man did I learn about myself. This assessment was incredibly valuable not only for me but also for Anna. Without this assessment we probably would have tried to plant a church and it probably would have killed us, or turned us into small tasteless vegitables. A big thankyou to the Baptist General Conference of Saskatchewan for sending us to this assessment and covering the cost (Lake Park actually covered the flights, thanks again guys). It was expensive but it saved us both money in the long run and was very valuable for me as a pastor. Thank you.

As a bonus from the flight to Burnaby we stayed an extra day at Annas parents place and got to see the family once again. Without kids though, sorry guys. It was great to catch up and see everybody, thanks for your hospitality Mom and Dad.

So as of right now I only know a few things for certain. God is good and He will lead and guide us, I'm doing hardwood this week, and we are still wanting to sell our house in November. After that, who knows. Please pray for us as we look for a place where I can be the man God has made me to be. I know everything is in His timing and He always works things out for us, but He always saves it to the last minute too.

So if anyone knows of a pastoral position or a place to live or wants to buy our house just give us a call. On a lighter note, we did sell the Lumina, so miricales can happen. We just got a new CD of Third Day and we have made the song Revelation our theme song for the next couple months. Check it out. Thanks for reading and catching up with us.



Tim Sawatzky

8 Comments:

Blogger Michael and Sharlene McDonald said...

We'll be praying for you guys! I'm looking forward to seeing how God is going to glorify Himself through this situation!

It takes a great deal of integrity to treat a ministry as a calling and not just a source of income that you can pursue even when you are convinced you don't fit!

God bless!!

Monday, 29 September, 2008  
Blogger Juanita said...

What a whirlwind couple of months for you. Wow. We will pray for God's will to be clear to you at the right time. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long:-)

Monday, 29 September, 2008  
Blogger Paul Truman said...

Karis found your blog through facebook and handed me the computer to read as well. Good read, you have balls and that's great to hear. I have decided to never work in a 'staff' position in a church, but only to work from and 'elders' job description. There are churches in the fellowship looking for men to lead them, one in a town near us, let me know if you want me to pass on any info to you. Cheers,
Paul Truman

Monday, 29 September, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only check up on you guys every now and then and just happened to do so today. An off-the-cuff comment: I don't believe God has just one call for you (or anyone). God is flexible.

But how do you find a call that is right for you? Seems to me that you have a good start. You've listened to your heart, which told you that where you were wasn't right. And you've taken the time to check out some possibilities. Church 'planting' may not be your call, but by checking into it, you may be led somewhere else!

-Dennis Heise

Tuesday, 30 September, 2008  
Blogger Timothy Braun said...

Well, God makes us all as SMRT as we need to be. Sometimes it seems like we really could use a good "A" to flesh things out, but then we wouldn't need to rely on God would we?

This must be really difficult for you guys. We'll be praying for you.

Hey, do you do childrens ministry?

Tuesday, 30 September, 2008  
Blogger Amydeanne said...

your kiddos are sooo cute!
Hope you get your house sold b/f the market goes too far down!!

Wednesday, 01 October, 2008  
Blogger Lisa Sawatzky said...

I LOVE YOU! I miss you guys. I hope everything works out.

Wednesday, 08 October, 2008  
Blogger Christy said...

Wow..I'm so behind on the gossip. :)

I'm sorry you're going through this time of uncertainty, but I'm glad you're being true to yourselves.

Our church is going through some growing pains and we had an amazing pastoral candidate give a FANTASTIC sermon last weekend - - it definitely applies to you:

"God's will done God's way involves asking him to give you a dream for you life that is so magnificent that unless he is in the middle of it and unless he fuels it, there is absolutely no chance of it happening. You will be most effective in your life if you seek to do God's will, God's way. And you're ready when he calls. It's that simple and that costly at the same time."

God be near you and supply all your needs as you do his will, his way.

Christy Z.

Wednesday, 22 October, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home